Ogolo : 202 628 - 0668



A United States citizen sibling can sponsor his or her brother or sister for green card. This can be done whether the siblings reside in the United States or overseas. The major drawback in sibling sponsorship is the visa waiting time. The waiting time may last for eight to ten years because of its low priority in the scale of immigration into the United States. As usual, the starting point, is filing Form I-130 with the United States citizenship and Immigration Services.

If the foreign siblings reside in the United States, and assuming he or she is in current immigration status, he or she can adjust status in the United States. If, on the other hand, the foreign sibling resides overseas, the approved petition will be forwarded to the Department of States for further processing. The foreign-based sibling will be interviewed in the country of residence when his or her priority date becomes current.

For more information, please click here.